Week 8

This week the lectures was taken by Joss Moore. Joss is a Breakfast show presenter for Compass FM, and a previous student at Lincoln. Joss’s lecture focused on commercial radio and how he got into Compass after graduating. He mentioned in his lecture that he was Station Manager at Brayford Radio, and it was through this that he was able to get his foot in the door at Compass and Lincs FM. At the moment I myself have a radio show every Monday night on Brayford Radio, and would be interested to join the executive team. This may give me a chance to show how passionate I am to get into radio.

Joss came into our workshops and gave us the task of reading out the news in the morning. He gave us a list of different news stories and asked us to only use the ones that would relate to a station and to present it in a way that would be found on commercial radio. We all gave it our best shot and put in a few national stories along with the majority of local stories. I read out the whole name of a road, such as the A342, Joss corrected me and told me to say it as the road name such as Winchester Street, instead of the letters and numbers as the audience will understand it better. Joss then read the news how he would, and it was so much better than ours. He added his own flair to it and was clear and understandable. It makes you think how much a presenter needs to put into the show, they can’t just read something off a sheet because it will sound too bland. Joss was able to make it sound like he was just talking normally, not reading off a sheet.

Me, Chloe Edwards and Chloe Abraham have decided to work together as a group of three for our radio drama project. We will be taking on the roles of Chloe Abraham as Producer, Chloe Edwards will work on Script and I will be BA.